3 Reasons to invest
Facing scarce resources, policymakers must determine how best to invest in their country’s future. Investment in health can save costs and facilitate economic growth by increasing productivity. Economic analyses help governments and international donors identify health practices that are not only feasible, but also the best value for money.
The exact global cost of cancer is unknown, but it is undoubtedly well into the hundreds of billions of dollars per year. In the United States alone, the estimated cost of cancer in 2009, including direct medical costs as well as the cost of lost productivity due to premature death, was US$216.6 billion per year. The global cost of cancer is expected to increase due to increases in the number of new cancer cases as well as the growing cost of cancer therapies.
A substantial part of this cost can be averted by investing in cancer prevention, early detection, and treatment. For example, cost-effective strategies to address common cancer risk factors such as tobacco use, alcohol abuse, unhealthy diet and physical inactivity in low- and middle-income countries would cost only US$2 billion per year, a small amount compared to the costs incurred by the total disease burden. For example, in developing countries, cervical cancer screenings that require little laboratory infrastructure, such as simple visual inspection of the cervix with acetic acid or DNA testing for HPV in cervical cell samples, cost less than US$500 per year of life saved. In general, cancer prevention is far more cost-effective than treatment.
- Stephen Van Deventer
President, Chief Executive Officer
- Shabira Rajan, MBA, CPA, CGA
Chief Financial Officer and Controller
- Mak Jawadekar Ph.D.
Director, Chief Science Officer
- Harry Parekh Ph.D.
Chief Research Officer
- Maher Khaled
Director of International Operations
- Alicia Rebman
- Susan Blond
Director of Publicity
- Deanna Kress
Director of Communications and Investor Relations
- Sydney Cole
Executive Assistance and Office Manager
- Chris Van Deventer
Add Member Name
Add Member Company Position
Sol-Gel Delivery Platform for Nose-to-Brain Delivery of Therapeutic Compounds
Nature Identical Peptides from the Caribbean Blue Scorpion Venom to Assist with Cancer-Targeted Treatment
Engineering Peptide Therapeutics for Non-Addictive Analgesia
Dual Gene Therapy Targeting Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity
- 2019-05-21 12:48:19 UTCVancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - May 21, 2019) - PreveCeutical Medical Inc. (CSE: P...
- 2019-04-17 18:09:48 UTC
- 2019-04-15 12:58:38 UTC
- 2019-04-10 13:35:01 UTCVancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - April 10, 2019) - PreveCeutical Medical Inc. (CSE:...
- 2019-04-05 12:55:17 UTC
- 2019-04-04 23:42:55 UTCVancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - April 4, 2019) - PreveCeutical Medical Inc. (CSE: ...
- 2019-04-04 19:33:58 UTC
- 2019-04-04 19:32:33 UTCVancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - April 4, 2019) - Asterion Cannabis Inc. (P.ASTR) (...
- 2019-03-11 13:10:25 UTC
- 2019-01-29 13:35:39 UTCVancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - January 29, 2019) - PreveCeutical Medical Inc. (th...